- This event has passed.
The Noteables and You’ve Got Male Concert
December 10, 2017 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pmFree
The Noteables (women) and You’ve Got Male (men) are enthusiastically preparing for their Christmas concert series, “Winter Light.” The concert is free with donations cheerfully accepted.
About the Music
The holiday program, under the energetic direction of Linda Taylor, will include unusual arrangements of familiar carols, Celtic and gospel selections, lullabies, and winter ballads.
The groups will team up with drummer and percussionist Oso Blanco, and Bruce Warren will join us with a magical assortment of angelic Christmas songs on his hammered dulcimer.
The Noteables will sing:
- Christmas Pipes, a beautiful lilting song by Celtic Woman. Includes “O Holy Night” in the middle of it.
- Hotta Chocolatta, a jazzy, fun Ella Fitzgerald tune about the need for that cup of hot chocolate to ward off the cold of winter.
- Evening Star, a gorgeous, lyrical piece about the light, hope and peace found in the rising of the evening star.
- Winter Light, a ballad that describes the beauty of winter, the snow, the solitude, the softness.
- A Welch Noel, a joyful dancing Celtic melody. “Join we all in one accord, break the bread and sheath the sword. Let all people everywhere, rejoice today, cast out despair. Sing Noel!”
- Underneath Starry Skies, a retelling of the Christmas story with beautiful harmonies and poignant imagery.
You’ve Got Male will sing:
- Sing We Now of Christmas An unusual arrangement of the traditional upbeat melody.
- One of Those Southern Winters. Ward off the cold of winter by fantasizing what a 3-week southern winter would feel like. Hilarious and sure to bring out the props and costumes.
- Two English Carols, a gorgeous, 4-part piece combining the familiar “Coventry Carol” and “What Child Is This?” Sensational harmonies!
- Here We Come A-Wassailing, Familiar melody. Fun arrangement that includes a few snippets from other carols.
- Good News, a joyful Gospel spreading the good news of the birth of the tiny little baby.
- What Shall We Sing For the Child? a retelling of the Christmas story with beautiful harmonies and tender imagery.
The two groups will combine to sing:
- A Celtic Noel a bouncing delightful Celtic number. Angels, shepherds, peace, praise, thanks, alleluia, gloria!
- Baloo Lammy a celebration of the baby lamb with hand clapping and men and women trading off on verses.
- See Amid the Winter’s Snow, a gorgeous song celebrating the birth of Christ with lots of alleluias and dramatic rises and falls by Dan Forrest, one of our favorite composers.
- The Work of Christmas, also by Dan Forrest. He addresses the question “What happens after Christmas when the shepherds go back to their flocks and the people return to their daily lives?” Beautiful!
- The Twelve Days of Regifted Christmas You know the melody, but this hilarious arrangement, listing all the gifts that you hate and regift to others, changes rhythm three times during the song, from blues to jazz to Latin beats. Awesome arrangement.
- Sing Gloria! An upbeat, celebratory song that includes an unusual rendition of “Joy to the World”.
Friday, December 8, 7:30pm, Clearview Community Church, Buena Vista
Saturday, December 9, 7:30pm, Presbyterian Church, Salida
Sunday, December 10, 3:00pm, SteamPlant Event Center, Salida
For more information, contact artistic director Linda Taylor at 719-539-2428 or visit the Noteables and You’ve Got Male website here.